04 January 2006

Another example of why I don't watch the news

The rest of you may have already been following this story of the 12 miners in West Virginia, but I rarely watch news broadcasts. I flipped on my TV and witnessed a disturbing scene: clips of family members going to their local church in the middle of the night to rejoice with each other because they were told that all 12 made it out alive, followed by the anger and chaos when they were told two hours later that the first announcement was a mistake. I don't even know these people and I am sitting here crying. I feel like my heart has been stomped. It hurts to think for even one second what those families must be feeling right now. When the reporter started detailing the mine's below-par safety record, I had to shut off the TV. My prayers go out to all those affected, but I can't watch the coverage.

No comments: