28 July 2006

The planets have aligned

According to this article, Zac Efron has been chosen to play the male lead in the movie version of Hairspray. The Broadway cast CD of Hairspray has been in heavy rotation in my house for months, so the kids will be excited when they find out it is being made into a movie. Not only that, but Zac Efron played the male lead in one of their favorite movies, High School Musical. I've also read that Queen Latifah will be playing the role of Motormouth Maybelle. That is perfect casting in my mind, so this movie will be a treat for all of us. Perhaps I can talk ABM into taking us to the theatre rather than waiting to see it on DVD.

2 comments:

wendy said...

I love this musical(movie and live stage). I saw it in dever, and the oddest thing happened. The female lead...fell off stage..right after curtain, second act. Busted a rib...Had to stop...close the curtain...with an explaination from the "mom" in character, and the UNDERSTUDY had to come on..right with "the motion in the ocean.."bang! She got a standing O!! Crazy!!!

Dani In NC said...

Wow, that sounds like a wild "Hairspray" experience! The understudy for the Tracy role also went on when I saw it, but it was a little less dramatic. I have a feeling that the main actress let her go on as a favor because the understudy was from this area. I found this out because her parents were sitting in the row in front of me. In a couple numbers, I could see that the joy in her face went beyond acting; she was excited to be performing for her family.