12 September 2007

Well, THAT'S never happened before

Remember me saying that I didn't feel so bad last week? Yeah, well, I should have kept my big mouth shut. Right after that my body started to fall apart. It must be a quarterly thing :-p.

I brought part of this latest misery on myself. ABM bought a bottle of Metabolife, the fat-burner/energy pill. I tried it when he was taking it years ago, but it gave me the shakes. I got the bright idea on Thursday to try it again. I figured that if I didn't drink coffee while taking it I would be able to avoid the shakiness. I didn't get the jitters, but the nausea was overwhelming. I couldn't keep anything down; I think I became a bit dehydrated. It will be a looong time before I am tempted by a diet pill again.

Since my defenses were down, that mild sore throat from Wednesday turned into a full head cold. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that your body protects you during a cold by making sure that only one nostril gets stuffed up at a time. With this cold, my body pushed the limit. One nostril was fully blocked while the other nostril was 3/4 blocked for almost two days. When I tried to breathe through my mouth, it felt like I had a piece of cloth in my throat. I had a weird panicky feeling like I was never going to be able to catch my breath. That made sleeping impossible. At one point while I'm shaking and gulping for air, ABM looks at me and says, "Are you going to be making that noise all night?" Excuse me for trying to breathe!

The highlight of the past seven days came on Thursday night. I was almost asleep when I felt like I was going to throw up. I ran into the bathroom, stood over the toilet, and then the next thing I knew I was on the floor between the toilet and the tub. I have no memory of losing my balance or falling. I know it happened, though, because I have a bruises on both arms and a scrape on my forehead. Perhaps I should be worried about blacking out, but I am actually fascinated by the idea that I could fall and immediately have no memory of it.

The worst of my symptoms are gone, but now I am stuck with a cough that is sucking the life out of me. I stumbled around yesterday trying to clean something so my day wouldn't be a complete waste. I'm determined not to turn a one-week illness into three weeks of laziness.

No comments: