02 December 2009

Tasty Ham Bone Soup

Today I made a tasty ham bone soup from a recipe I found on the AllRecipes.com website.

Ham Bone Soup
recipe image
Rated: rating
Submitted By: TOOTSWEET13
Photo By: Baily
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 6 Hours
Ready In: 6 Hours 30 Minutes
Servings: 4
"A simple but tasty soup to make using a leftover ham bone, kidney beans, and potatoes. Put it all into the slow cooker in the morning, and come home to a savory hot meal."
Ingredients:
1 ham bone with some meat
1 onion, diced
1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced
tomatoes with juice
1 (15.25 ounce) can kidney beans
3 potatoes, cubed
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
4 cups water
6 cubes chicken bouillon
Directions:
1. Place the ham bone, onion, tomatoes, kidney beans, potatoes, and green pepper into a 3 quart or larger slow cooker. Dissolve the bouillon cubes in water, and pour into the slow cooker.
2. Cover, and cook on High until warm. Reduce heat to Low, and continue to cook for 5 to 6 hours.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 12/2/2009


Actually, I used the recipe as a jumping-off point and adapted it slightly to accommodate what I had handy. My tweaks:

--I only used half an onion and supplemented with a few shakes of onion powder.

--My diced tomatoes were seasoned with basil, oregano, and garlic.

--I didn't have any fresh potatoes, so I used Southern Home hash browns which are really just frozen cubed potatoes.

--I didn't have any bouillon cubes, so I added a few splashes of chicken broth.

This turned out much better than I could have hoped for. I get a little thrill when I am able to throw together a dish using odds and ends in my fridge and pantry.

No comments: