24 March 2005

A Rather Un-feminist Music List

Exercise: none (still sick)

"Maybe I Know" by Lesley Gore, 1964
"Every Little Bit Hurts" by Brenda Holloway, 1964
"Oh No, Not My Baby" by Maxine Brown, 1967
"Anyone Who Had a Heart" by Dionne Warwick, 1968

Can you see where my head has been at this week? Yes, I've been tuning into the "Hey Hey We're the Sixties" channel at Accuradio.com again. It has a subchannel that is all female singers. Sometimes I get tired of the aggressive girl-power singers and I want to hear from a woman who knows she's in a mess. For that kind of un-PC singing, you have to reach back a few decades. Take the words of the first song, "Maybe I Know":

Deep down inside he loves me
Though he may run around
Deep down inside he loves me
Some day he'll settle down

Ohhh Maybe I know that he's been a cheatin'
Maybe I know that he's been untrue
But what can I do

If Kelly Clarkson sang that, there would be music reviews all over the country bashing her for promoting an unhealthy relationship to her young fans. I don't think that there has been a great wallow-in-my-relationship-misery song on the Top 40 charts in the past several years. Please feel free to correct me and make recommendations -- I'm always open to new music!

1 comment:

Christie said...

I'll have to have my friend Vonyse write an unhealthy co-dependancy song. I guess once the 70's hit, women song writers preferred the strength anthem..."Oh now go, walk out the door, just turn around now..."...You know the rest. ; )