26 July 2007

Poetry Thursday: Sharon Olds

This week, I read "The Dead and the Living" by Sharon Olds. The book is divided into two sections. The first section, Poems for the Dead, was filled with poems that I didn't understand at all. The second half, Poems for the Living, was clearer to me but many of the poems made me uncomfortable. Ms. Olds used disturbing imagery throughout almost the entire book. The only pieces I could relate to were the ones about her kids. Some would say that if she disturbed me she did her job as an artist, but I don't think I'll be seeking out Ms. Olds' other works.

On my bedside for reading in the coming weeks:

--"Coming to Rest", a collection by NC's poet laureate, Kathryn Stripling Byer;

--"The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes";

--"Immersed in Verse: An Imformative, Slightly Irreverent & Totally Tremendous Guide to Living the Poet's Life" by Allan Wolf. This one is a young adult guide to poetry, but I think it might prove useful. As I have gotten older, my mind has reverted back to its 16-year-old self. It is easier for me to learn from books aimed at kids and teenagers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, you make her work sound kind of intriguing. I'll have to look up some Sharon Olds poems to see why you found them so disturbing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting and I'm glad my poem lifted your spirits a bit. :)

paisley said...

an unfamiliar poet to me,,, but i must say,, i too, an m intrigued after having read this review.....

Anonymous said...

I must look out for this.

Tammy Brierly said...

I like her so thanks for sharing one I had not read. :)

Clare said...

Hi! Now I am intrigued by Sharon Olds and will try to read some of her poems to see what it's like. And the book by Allan Wolf sounds like it's my speed too!
:)

Dani In NC said...

Well, I'm glad that my dislike of Sharon Olds didn't turn anyone else off! Her work was recommended to me by several people, so I tried not to be too harsh in my assessment. Now you guys can go and make up your own minds.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I haven't read that book but what i have read of Olds poems I really enjoy. She's a very interesting performer/reader of her own poetry too.

Tumblewords: said...

Every now and then I run across one of Ms. Olds' poems that I really enjoy. Nice post!