03 August 2006

Poetry Thursday: Singing Along


I would have thought that this week's topic would be easy. Music has pulled me through the roughest periods of my life. There are many lyrics that sound like poetry to me. Surely, I could pick something to create a poem around, couldn't I? Unfortunately, I got stumped. All those lyrics that I know by heart just flew out of my head.

Since my mind has been consumed with my eldest daughter's first formal, I offer this fragment of a poem about the experience.
-----------------------------------------------

Amazingly,
The fellowship hall
Was a sea of ebony,
Beaded
And sequined
And feathered.
Even eighth-grade girls
Understand the elegance
Of a little black dress.

Sadly,
All of this elegance
Was lost
On eighth-grade boys.
What would propel them
From the far side
Of the room
To meet the ladies-in-training
On the dance floor?

Thankfully,
The DJ was experienced
In these matters.
He had the magic formula
To make them move --
"You can't see it
It's electric!
You gotta feel it
It's electric!
Ooh, it's shakin'
It's electric!"
Coattails flapping,
Sequins shimmering,
The party
Has finally begun.

7 comments:

January said...

Looks like all went well with the formal. You daugher is beautiful.

And thank you for your poem. The second stanza is my favorite.

wendy said...

So many things are wasted on boys....but I'm glad that dj knew how to get em up on the dance floor! oh...for days of formals....hum well...my daughters turn now!

Paul D. said...

Loved the phrase Ladies in training. Boys get trained too but in a different way. How did your daughter like the formal? Did she get to dance?

Anonymous said...

Wow. She is so beautiful! The look on her face is so confident. You've done well, my dear.

Dani In NC said...

Thank you for all the compliments! For those of you who don't know, the lyrics are from the beginning of "Electric Boogie" which is the song usually played for the Electric Slide.

Kay Cooke said...

Your daughter stands so tall and proud! Just beautiful. I loved your poem - I could see it all!!! It made me smile.

paris parfait said...

Wonderful photo of your daughter! It's so true about the power of the little black dress - a good one will take you many places throughout your life. Your poem is so terrific!I really like the line about the girls' beauty being wasted on the boys, but they all share enthusiasm for dancing. Lovely!