08 December 2010

Reverb 10: Day 8

Today's prompt:

Beautifully Different.
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.
(Author: Karen Walrond)

By all accounts, I'm a quirky gal. I'm a black chick who isn't stereotypically "black". I listen to country and my favorite clothing styles are from the 1940s. I love to read romances set in the 1800s. I know how to knit, crochet, latch hook, and cross stitch. Crowds make me nervous and I will tip better if the waitress doesn't talk to me. I don't give a flip about housework and I don't coo over babies (despite being a mother of four). These and a host of other things about me may not sound particularly strange to the world at large, but it makes me different than all the people I know in real life. I've gotten used to comments like, "Nobody does that but you."

For a while I was uncomfortable with always being the odd gal out. I even went through a period of time where I kept telling myself that I would try to conform. When I turned 40, however, I embraced all my quirks including my snarky sense of humor. Luckily, I've finally found people who enjoy me just the way I am.
Post a Comment