08 December 2010

Reverb 10: Day 8

Today's prompt:

Beautifully Different.
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.
(Author: Karen Walrond)

By all accounts, I'm a quirky gal. I'm a black chick who isn't stereotypically "black". I listen to country and my favorite clothing styles are from the 1940s. I love to read romances set in the 1800s. I know how to knit, crochet, latch hook, and cross stitch. Crowds make me nervous and I will tip better if the waitress doesn't talk to me. I don't give a flip about housework and I don't coo over babies (despite being a mother of four). These and a host of other things about me may not sound particularly strange to the world at large, but it makes me different than all the people I know in real life. I've gotten used to comments like, "Nobody does that but you."

For a while I was uncomfortable with always being the odd gal out. I even went through a period of time where I kept telling myself that I would try to conform. When I turned 40, however, I embraced all my quirks including my snarky sense of humor. Luckily, I've finally found people who enjoy me just the way I am.

4 comments:

Pamela Green said...

Isn't it great when you finally arrive at the place where you can just be you without apologies that the people who can appreciate and "get" you naturally show up..

Great post, Thanks!

Kathryn Dyche said...

It's are differences that make us unique and special. What a boring world it would be if we were all the same. :0)

Sally G. said...

I'm glad you found people who like you exactly as you are.

40 seems to be 'the time' we start to step more comfortably into who we are, don't you think? I'm 46 now ~ and I know I've allowed my Self to emerge recently in ways I never would up until this point.

You sound fascinating to me. Here's to Quirkiness (and, Beauty) ...

Stereo said...

Finding people that accept and love you just the way you are is one of the greatest gifts in this life. And I'm a little to the left of the regular "black girl" stereotype too ;)