23 February 2012

The Talk: My New Evening Wind-Down Show


I'm sure that a lot of people make comparisons between ABC's The View and CBS' The Talk, and I don't blame them. On the face of it, the two talk shows look a lot alike.Each one has a panel of famous women of different ages and at different life stages discuss pop culture topics. However, as a former fan of The View, I can tell you that The Talk is what The View used to be: a light daytime show for people who enjoy panel discussions. 

While their hosts do address the latest headlines, the discussion never degenerates into a shouting match with apologies being made the next day. Perhaps it is because the cast hasn't been together long enough to get on each other's nerves, but these women act as if they genuinely like each other rather than just tolerate each other.  Maybe having Sheryl Underwood and Aisha Tyler (two stand-up comedians) and Sharon Osbourne (a naturally funny woman) keeps the show happy and fun. I don't know. All I know is that it is the perfect show for me to watch in the evenings after work when my meds have laid me low.

4 comments:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

I haven't watched this one yet, but I stopped watching the View a long time ago. Shouting matches just aren't entertaining to me.

Dani In NC said...

Exactly. It is stimulating to hear people on a panel show get excited over a topic every once in a while, but when the shouting matches are a regular occurrence it becomes tiring.

Man said...

Get rid of Sheryl and Sharon and the show would be perfect.

Dani In NC said...

I disagree, Man. Sheryl Underwood and Sharon Osbourne add just enough sass to the show to keep it vibrant without it turning into a verbal brawl every day. Aisha Tyler is a firecracker on her podcast and in her stand-up comedy, but she puts on her college education and her company manners for The Talk. Julie Chen and Sara Gilbert and way too mild-mannered to breathe life into a show without the others there.