14 November 2005

Here we go again

I didn't go to DJ's school conference because he seemed to be doing well. In 2nd grade the marks are 1 -4 rather than A - F, with 4 being the best. DJ got 4s in all the math categories and 3s in language arts on his report card. The only below average mark was for his handwriting and I already had plans to work with him on that. So I was a bit surprised when I got his reading test today and it said that he is reading at a 1st-grade level. I refuse to let the test throw me, however. This kid has had a reading explosion in the past few months. He reads road signs, cereal boxes, game rules, and anything else he can get his hands on. What's more, he puts his reading in context more than my older kids do. He's the one to send into the pantry for the corned beef hash because he will actually read the cans. For now, I choose to believe that he was tested on a bad day.

No comments: