18 October 2009

Do You Have a Computer in Your Kitchen?



I want a small, internet-connected device for my kitchen. Some of you who know me in real life may say that I am too jacked in to tech as it is, but I can't help it. I think a device like the Archos 5 or a tablet PC would be really cool to have. There are activities that I avoid because I know that I won't be able to listen to music or a podcast while I am doing them, and cooking is one of them. It would be neat to have a lightweight portable device that I could carry to other parts of the house, not only for music but also to look up that new recipe that I want to try. Currently, I copy down recipes by hand on notebook paper to save printer ink. It would be so much easier to have a screen with the recipe sitting next to the kitchen phone, away from the kitchen splatters but still handier than running upstairs to check my desktop.

4 comments:

Miss Eliza Sea said...

I totally cart my laptop into the kitchen to cook with. :D It's so handy!

Dani In NC said...

I've done that a few times, but since the battery in my laptop is sucky I have to cart the stupid cord with the brick around, too. I want something a little smaller and lighter to cart around.

Sean Reiser said...

As this isn't your primary computer I can see you going a few ways.

1) A Netbook.
2) Asus' Eeetops (which are basically Desktops w/ a touchscreen and netbook guts.
3) Find an old iMac on CL/Ebay (either a "lampshade" or a flatpanel)

All three of these solutions give you a smaller footprint then a 'puter in the kitchen and can be rather cost effective.

Dani In NC said...

Sean, thanks for reminding me about the Asus EEETop. I think I read about it somewhere else and promptly forgot the name of it.