28 December 2005

Ignore the girl sobbing in the corner

This morning I was listening to Lauchcast internet radio over at Yahoo! using the personalized station function. After three years I have it pretty well honed, but I don't have any control over the order in which the songs are played. The playlist was very upbeat for most of the morning, then "Cat in the Cradle" came up. This song has always made me a little sad, but now that I have kids it makes me weep. Every time I hear it, I think of my son DJ and all the times I've said, "Not now -- we'll play later." It makes me worry that I have scarred my kids for life. So I was on the brink of tears when the next song came up -- "Century Plant" from the movie Camp. The chorus of this song is Hey! Do you want to come out and play the game? It's never too late. The speed with which I moved from bad-mommy guilt to redemption turned me into a blubbering mess. Mind you, I am at work sobbing like a baby. When I say that I am profoundly affected by music, I truly mean it.

No comments: