04 February 2006

Health Update




Here we go again! By the time New Year's Day rolled around, I had gained back the few pounds I lost last year. That means that I started 2006 at 265, which makes me 100 pounds overweight. As you can see by the ticker, I've lost a few pounds since that day. The only change I've made is drinking more water. Some would say what I lost is water weight, but I know the truth. Drinking water causes me to have more bowel movements, so I've pooped away three pounds. I wonder how much more weight I would lose if I went for a fancy colon cleanse. (Say it with me: Ewwww, gross!)

Since this is my first health update of the year, let me give you a snapshot of where I stand now. Besides being overweight, my body has become its own barrier to exercise. I have a myriad of strange symptoms that pop up now when I attempt to move. My lower back starts to hurt if I do housework for more than 10 minutes. The soles of my feet hurt when I try to walk for exercise. My knees buckle under me more frequently. I have numbness in my legs that comes and goes at the oddest times. Recently I started having a strange burning in my thighs that feels like I am standing too close to a heating element. (Don't say it: I'm not going to a doctor because I don't have any health insurance.) These symptoms frustrate me because I feel that most of them would go away if I wasn't carrying all this extra weight.

Finding a balance with food is still a struggle. Today I am in the proper frame of mind to eat nutritious food. I just ate two vegetables with dinner, which is unusual for me. After a period of healthy eating, though, I find myself wanting to rebel. So I go through cycles of eating healthy for three weeks, then throwing it all out the window by eating anything that can't run away from me for months. If I could somehow make the healthy eating cycle longer and the crazy eating cycle shorter, then I might have some success in improving my health.

What does all this mean for where I'm going, healthwise? I don't know. I do know that I don't want to try another diet or another plan. I don't want to think about carbs, calories, fat grams, points, etc. Want to know a secret about this fat gal? I don't think about food all day. That may be hard to believe considering how much I weigh, but it's true. The only time my mind is consumed with thoughts of food is when I am trying to stick to a plan. Trying to stick to my prescribed amount of calories/points/whatever makes me think about all the foods I can't eat. Even if I say that I am going to allow myself to eat XYZ today and go back to my plan tomorrow, I feel guilty for not sticking to the plan. I don't ever want some numbers on a piece of paper to make me feel guilty about what I put in my mouth again.

Exercise seems to be the only answer. As much as it hurts, I am going to make myself move. I can't let myself spend another weekend in bed from sunup to sundown. If I continue to do that, then I know that one day I won't be able to get up. Last year's mantra was "I want to have sex until I'm 80". This year I am adding one I stole from author Haven Kimmel: "She got up off the couch." I don't know how much I will be able to do once I leave the couch, but I'm getting up anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really hate to say this, but you really do need to see a doctor. These symptoms may be a sign of something serious, but only the doctor can properly diagnose this. Surely there should at least be some sort of clinic for those without health insurance. Yes, it can be hard to find, but there should be at least one in major metro areas.

Anonymous said...

I only think about eating when I'm on a diet. Now I eat 5 or 6 times a day and I make sure it is food not fast food. This has helped me.

Exercise... maybe you should try water cardio or the sit and be fit program I see on PBS.

If you can only walk 10 mins a day do it. Something is better than nothing and I agree with Lola - - -see a doctor to make sure you are A-OK. I have lower back pains and after I started walking the pains lessened.... but I did not start exercising until I saw 3 Drs. They all agree that my back MRI and x rays look good and I must have a weak back that can be strenghtened by walking and crunches.
Knit2K Ruth in Houston

Dani In NC said...

I warned you guys -- no doctor talk :-). I used to work at the low-income clinic here; there is no way I would get in. Our household income is too high and I am not completely without an insurance option, so I don't qualify. My husband could have put me on his insurance during open enrollment but adding the kids was already so expensive that we decided to leave me off. Going to the doctor is just not an option right now.