18 May 2006

Poetry Thursday: Anne Bradstreet

In keeping with my goal to wake up my creative side, I am participating in Poetry Thursday. I'm not quite ready to post any of my own poetry; instead I am going to share one of my favorite love poems. It is almost as old as America itself, and the first four lines express the simple essence of married love for me.

"To My Dear and Loving Husband"

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cAnneot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompetence.
Thy love is such I can no way repay.
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persever
That when we live no more, we may live ever.


Anne Bradstreet

1 comment:

liz elayne lamoreux said...

a beautiful love poem.
so glad you participated and shared this one today!