05 July 2007

Poetry Thursday: Spurring Creativity

I haven't been participating in Poetry Thursday because I haven't been in a poetic state of mind. Most of my old poems have already been posted on past PTs and I can't seem to come up with anything new. Yesterday, I came up with an idea that I hope will remedy that.

Summer is the time when the kids explore new books. During the school year, they have so much assigned reading that they don't get a chance to read for fun. Since I am requesting books from the library on a weekly basis, I thought I could add some poetry to the stack. I could focus on a different author every week. Either I will be inspired to write some new poetry, or I could write about that week's poet.

Although I haven't made a list of authors yet, I am excited about this project. If you would like to suggest your favorite author, leave me a comment.

5 comments:

January said...

Two of my favorite poets are Lucille Clifton and Sharon Olds. They never fail to inspire me.

Crafty Green Poet said...

My favourite poet is Margaret Attwood, each poem is so meaningful. I also love the poetry of Rebecca Elson, who died too young to have written very much. Others to recommend very quickly: Ruth Padel, Jackie Kay, Adrienne Rich, Sharon Olds....

Anonymous said...

Dont miss out Mary Oliver (1935).

Brian said...

I am a fond of Russell Edson

Tumblewords: said...

My faves change with the breeze. D. Nurske has written several poems that captured me...but then he wrote several that eluded me.