11 January 2007

Poetry Thursday: Untitled, 11 Jan 2007

I didn't follow the optional prompt this week.  Instead, I am sharing a poem that came to me while I was trying to sleep. Inspiration often comes knocking at midnight (my muse is apparently a night owl), but I usually ignore her because I have a 5:45a wake-up call.  This time I grabbed my Treo and typed out a poem with one thumb so that Inspiration would go away and let me sleep.  Here it is:

sister time stole my wardrobe yesterday
to save me from being ticketed by the age police.
the wristwarmers and hoodies,
the boho chic and the camo
all sit in my daughter's closet now
while i'm left with nothing but
a red hat, a purple blouse,
and the supposed confidence
that comes with being 40.

--Dani M. Sanders, 11 Jan 2007


8 comments:

Norma said...

I love it. I sometimes sketch people in the coffee shop in the morning. Definitely ticketed by the age police. And wearing pajamas!

Crafty Green Poet said...

That made me laugh! I could be ticketed by the age police quite easily except I look younger than I am.

wendy said...

this is a brilliant poem. My daughters and I are roughly the same size...at least on top...and I have to willfully keep myself out of their closets. NO YOU CAN NOT PULL THAT OFF, anymore.

Oh, whats a girl to wear.

Jon said...

This is a really entertaining poem and an interesting take on how "time marches on" and often seems to take things without compensation! Fun poem.

paris parfait said...

Very entertaining poem - and familiar thoughts, as I recently gave some much loved evening clothes to my daughter, sadly acknowledging that I could no longer pull them off! Sigh. Well done, you with your middle-of-the-night inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Poignant.

January said...

Everything old is new again! Nice poem, Dani. Keep listening to that midnight muse.

Anonymous said...

Hi there :)
Enjoyed the line "age police" and the colorful references to your daughter's closet. I can relate to the entir poem, including wanting to write at night!