01 July 2007

Sunday Scribblings: What's Your Sign?

Practical and prudent
Ambitious and disciplined
Patient and careful
Humorous and reserved



These are the supposed traits of a person born under the zodiac sign of Capricorn. I am a Capricorn, yet I don't see myself at all in that description. This mismatch was enough to dissuade me at an early age from belief in astrology. My skepticism now extends to psychological profiling, as well. I don't believe that you can take a small sampling of information about a person and determine her personality.

My disbelief in astrology did not stop me from using aspects of it for my own purposes. When I was in my early 20s and living on my own, I was hungry for guidance so I had some wacky ideas. At one point, I believed that God was talking to me through the daily horoscope in my local paper. Now, I didn't believe in astrology itself. I just thought that God was using the horoscope section to talk to me because He knew that I read the paper every day. Goodness only knows where I came up with that one!

2 comments:

January said...

This is an interesting Sunday Scribblings prompt because what you're saying is consistent with many others: We're all hungry for guidance. Astrology for me is on par with fortune telling.

That being said, I'm sure you possess a few of those traits.

nimi said...

An interesting write. I found myself agreeing with you had to say.