11 August 2008

Mixtape Monday: Quiet Storm

Back when I was a teenager, one of the local stations did a late-night quiet storm show on Sundays. For those who are unfamiliar with the format, it is comprised of slow and mellow R & B music. Although I was pretty much into rock-and-roll back then, I've always thought that soul music was the best for romance so I was a big fan of quiet storm shows. I mean, I can't make love to my husband listening to AC/DC :-). Anyway, since I am posting this late in the evening, I figured I'd give you a taste of what Sunday night at 9p used to sound like at the end of the 20th century.




A few notes:

--I included the first track in memory of Isaac Hayes, who passed away on Sunday.

--"Adore" is my absolute favorite Prince song and it would probably go on a list of my Top 100 songs.

--The playlist shows a ? next to "If This World Were Mine", but I know who the artist is. The version I picked is the original sung by Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell. These days, the Luther Vandross cover seems to be the only one that gets played. However, when I was in high school in the 1980s, the original was played all the time even though it was about 15 years old then. I still think it is the best version.

--A Sade song had to be on the list; I have fond memories of trying to seduce a young man with a home-cooked meal and a Sade cassette :-).

No comments: