10 October 2008

Foodie Friday: A Book Review

I want to try something new here at Straddling the Century Line. Now that my kids are older, they are more willing to try new dishes. Since I am still at home with no job in sight, I am more willing to cook for the kids. So I thought it might be a good idea to document my experiments here on the blog.

For this first Foodie Friday, I am presenting a short food-related book review. In the future, I hope to talk about recipes that worked or didn't work for my family. I hope you enjoy this new feature.

---------------------------------

Eat This Not That! for Kids: Raise a Lean, Health, Happy Child! Eat This Not That! for Kids: Raise a Lean, Health, Happy Child! by David Zinczenko


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
My kids love these books (the kids' version and the adult one). I didn't even check them out for the kids, but they latched on to them, anyway. The format of both books is the similar. They start with a chapter on the basics of good nutrition. Each successive chapter tackles a different place where you get food like restaurants or school. They even tackle familiar Thanksgiving menu items.



Making the book heavy on full-color photos and naming names was a brilliant move. There is a section on decoding a generic restaurant menu, but the sections that picture specific brands are what sell the book. The kids could easily look up restaurants and brand-name items we have in our kitchen and see where they stand health-wise.



David Zinczenko's writing style is similar to what he uses in the magazine Men's Health. He sounds like the guy you play basketball with or sit next to at work. It's easier to listen to what he has to say because he isn't preaching to you. If you have kids ages 10 and up, don't lecture them about nutrition -- just sit this on the coffee table and let them figure it out.


View all my reviews.

No comments: