19 July 2009

Thoughts on Walter Cronkite



Although I wasn't even born when Walter Cronkite was in his heydey in the early 1960s, his name is the first that pops into my mind when I hear the word "anchorman". Cronkite didn't retire from the CBS anchor desk until 1981, so he is part of the background sounds of my childhood. He lent a gravity to his reading of the news that made me feel what he was saying was the truth. Just as I stopped paying attention to late-night TV when Johnny Carson retired, I never really took the news shows seriously once Walter Cronkite was no longer on the air. All the other shows just seem like sensationalism and entertainment.

2 comments:

Sean Reiser said...

Hey Dani-

I agree completely, he was the network's last real news man and has been missed since he left the air in 1981. I also blogged about my thoughts on his passing.

Man said...

Cronkite was also before my time but I watch enough archived news shows to see a lot has been lost.

Watching Katie Couric once or twice and it is almost laughable.