09 December 2010

Reverb 10: Day 9

Today's prompt:

Party.
What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.
(Author: Shauna Reid)

Those who know me can probably figure out that the answer to this prompt is going to be short and sweet. I don't like parties and most social gatherings. I avoid them at all costs. When I was younger, I would become anxious in any situation that would have me surrounded by a lot of people -- parties, shopping at Christmas, attending services at large churches, company picnics. As I often tell people, it is like all those people are sucking up the oxygen and not leaving me any. I also don't like talking to strangers. Even worse than that is going to functions that are filled with people I only see once a year. They all remember me and come up and start talking to me, but I don't remember them at all.

I've learned to cope better over the years and I can enjoy functions if my husband is with me or if it is less than 15 people and I know them all. Barring that, I've learned to find a corner to hide in or go help in the kitchen if it is a house party. I also carry my knitting to places like school concerts and high school graduations. This works really well because non-knitters assume that I am counting stitches and can't talk, so they don't approach me.
Post a Comment