09 December 2010

Reverb 10: Day 9

Today's prompt:

Party.
What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.
(Author: Shauna Reid)

Those who know me can probably figure out that the answer to this prompt is going to be short and sweet. I don't like parties and most social gatherings. I avoid them at all costs. When I was younger, I would become anxious in any situation that would have me surrounded by a lot of people -- parties, shopping at Christmas, attending services at large churches, company picnics. As I often tell people, it is like all those people are sucking up the oxygen and not leaving me any. I also don't like talking to strangers. Even worse than that is going to functions that are filled with people I only see once a year. They all remember me and come up and start talking to me, but I don't remember them at all.

I've learned to cope better over the years and I can enjoy functions if my husband is with me or if it is less than 15 people and I know them all. Barring that, I've learned to find a corner to hide in or go help in the kitchen if it is a house party. I also carry my knitting to places like school concerts and high school graduations. This works really well because non-knitters assume that I am counting stitches and can't talk, so they don't approach me.

3 comments:

MK said...

I have struggled with social anxiety for as long as I can remember, and so few people understand it...in fact, they end up getting frustrated with me and assume I'm just not trying to meet new people. Good for you for expanding your borders, even if its an inch at a time :)

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Yeah, I saw the title and had a feeling I knew the answer already. hehe. My mom is incredibly outgoing and loves socializing... but she can't handle being in majorly crowded places. Like the mall at Christmas. She actually gets dizzy.

Sally G. said...

I feel your pain. I won't go to malls on weekends if I can avoid it ~ and 95% of the time, I can.

When volumes are too high, I also feel like I'm being deprived of oxygen. It is very difficult being so 'sound sensitive' in a home where MUST BE half deaf.

So, if I see someone knitting ~ I don't HAVE to assume they're counting stitches? That's good to know, in case I need to ask for directions or something.

I usually always have a book with me ~ so I look pre-occupied and not open to small talk. I've also learned to take the time necessary to ensure I'm holding it the right way up!

You're not alone ...