03 March 2011

No, I Can't Walk With You

For the past year, the majority of my exercise has come from taking a walk during my lunch hour at work. I tried not to make a big deal out of it, only telling my two office mates. Unfortunately, the women in the other offices have noticed and one of them has asked to walk with me. If I say no, I will appear rude but I really prefer to walk by myself.

Most people would welcome a walking partner, but not me. First of all, I don't walk very fast. It feels fast to me but anyone who has tried walking with me has felt obligated to slow down. Second, I have a mini freak-out about 10 minutes into a walk when my legs start to go numb. Rationally I know that the feeling is going to come back into my legs after about five minutes, but I don't want anyone around to witness the panicked look that always comes across my face. Third, I hate exercise so much that I have to distract myself. Talking to a virtual stranger would not do it; I need to block out the world with music or podcasts on my mp3 player to get through a walk, especially after the 10-minute mark.

Walking at work was my best option. I'm not a morning person so I've never been able to develop that 6 AM treadmill habit. If I jump on the treadmill right when I come home from work I could get it out of the way, but these days the MIL camps out in my den and watches the evening news so that's out. Lunchtime really is the best time for me to exercise, but I guess I'll have to give it up.

3 comments:

Miss Eliza Sea said...

Why not just tell her the truth? Or even make up a little fib and say it's the only time to yourself you get. Or, hell, even say yes, but let her know you'll be listening to your iPod (or whatever) because it helps keep you going.

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

I agree with Miss Eliza. I would go with either the truth or the "only time to myself" thing. I doubt her feelings would be hurt. If anything, maybe someone else at work would be willing to walk with her. Then they could start a lunch walking club. They'd all get super healthy and have you to thank! lol.

(as a sidenote, my little sister was supposed to spend the night last night, but she got sick. But hopefully we can get them together soon! I'll let you know next time she comes)

Dani In NC said...

Well, I ended up telling her and a few other women a little half-truth (Bad Dani!). I told them that the MIL is a little freaked out about me walking in this area (our new office is in the 'hood). That is the truth, but it isn't the real reason why I have been sticking to the parking lot for my walk. The numbness in my legs freaks me out so much (even though I know it won't last) that I am more comfortable staying close to the building. Since most people at work don't know about my MS, I didn't really want to add that!