23 August 2017

Back to school time!


My community college did a big reorganization that took effect this fall semester. They discontinued five programs of study, including mine (Web Technologies), and created several more. This meant that I had to pick a new major since I wouldn't be able to finish by the end of the spring semester. Yes, I know I have been taking classes for a while and should have graduated by now, but between financial issues, working full time for a while, and classes filling up quickly, I wasn't able to.

I became interested in medical billing and coding a few years ago, but my college didn't have an associate's degree track for that program of study. So I continued with the Web Technologies major even after I realized that I didn't have the creativity or the math skills to be a web developer. I think this happens with a lot of students; once you've gone so far, you are afraid to switch gears and basically start over.

Luckily for me, the college took the decision out of my hands. I had to pick a new major. I went online to switch over to Digital Media, which was the new degree track that was closest to my old major, when I discovered that in the reorganization the college had added an associate's degree in Medical Office Admin -- Billing and Coding. Huzzah!

So I picked up my books today and tomorrow I will start digging into my coursework.  Yes, it feels like I am starting back at the beginning, but I don't think that my past classes were a waste of time. In addition to having all my remedial math and general education classes out of the way, I feel like I've learned how to avoid distractions and get the most out of the coursework, which is a challenge when taking online classes. I'm determined to start this semester off on the right foot. Wish me luck!


No comments: