26 September 2023

My Exercise Paradox

 (I spent more time than I should have, trying to figure out if "paradox" was the correct word to use in this instance. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm using it, anyway.)

One of the big symptoms of multiple sclerosis is fatigue, and the main suggestion to help manage it is to exercise regularly. Even before my diagnosis, I never was a person who got energy from exercise, even after sticking to a routine for several months. Right now, I barely have the energy to walk to the bathroom and back, so how am I supposed to exercise? 

We went on our family vacation over the Labor Day weekend, and walking through the airport nearly took me out. I did my best to keep up with everyone and not complain, but my husband ABM ended up getting me a wheelchair to get through the airport on the way back. After that experience, I told myself that I would make more of an effort to improve my fitness before the next trip. Now that I have recovered from the crud I caught on vacation, I should be ready to start an exercise routine. In reality, I don't even have the energy to keep myself fed. 

Despite the urge to lay in bed and feel sorry for myself, I will be walking in place beside my bed while I watch TV with my hubby this evening. It's not much, but I have to start somewhere, right?

No comments: