22 February 2002

Every month I seem to find a new subject with a detailed website devoted to it. This month it is string figures. I was flipping through the Dover Publications catalog and spotted a book on how to play string games like cat's cradle that was published by the International String Figure Association. Who knew that string games were in danger of becoming extinct? On a lark I went to Google and searched for the association and found their web page. One of the links there led me to World-Wide Webs. This is an extensive site with clear photos and directions for creating all sorts of string figures. There are way more figures featured there than the few I learned as a kid. If you want to give your child something to do when the GameBoy batteries run down, give her a length of string and direct her to this site.

No comments: