30 July 2005

Health Update

Perhaps 260 is my ideal weight. That is the only explanation left for why my scale refuses to move. I have walked a total of 10 miles this week and watched my portion sizes. I've stuck to the Splenda in my coffee and gone down to one cup a day. What gives?

Some women start dieting in their teens. Although I've always been a big gal, dieting was the last thing on my mind until I became 100 pounds overweight. Yep, folks, I am officially obese and I don't want to stay this way. Now I feel like I am jumping from diet to diet, trying to find something that will work and hitting a brick wall in every direction. It occurs to me that perhaps I am not ready to make that final commitment. To truly change the way I eat and improve my health, I must either commit my time or my money. I keep jumping because each plan I've tried seems to be too much work, and I can't afford convenience foods over the long haul.

In another leap, I am considering Weight Watchers. NotMissy did WW before and is convinced that it will work for her again, but she hates to go to meetings alone. I wouldn't mind going but I am loathe to pay the membership fees. The money I paid for eDiets several months ago is still bothering me. On the other hand, having the extra support of a buddy and weekly check-ins might be what I need to keep me accountable and encourage me that the work is worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've joined WW many times and it is a great program. (My own laziness caused me to stop and have to rejoin.) One thing to use to your advantage is either/or the Freedom Plan, where you pay a little bit more per week but you only have to weigh in once a month. It's less money than going all the time, if you only go once a month. Also, a little-advertised (I think) feature of WW is once you pay for that week, you can go to as many meetings as you'd like for that week for free. When I went last and did well, I went more than once a week and it was more motivating than just once a week. Now that I have three kids under 6 I don't have the time to do that and the Freedom plan works for me. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. I gained weight during a depression and I see every extra pound dangling on my body as symptoms of illness and I want them gone, even though I'm told I'm cute and curvy... So I might save an extra few when I've found the diet or exercise program that works. Let me know when you've found yours and I'll let you know when I've found mine ok? Until then: Go You!

Anonymous said...

I am re-joining WW This Thursday . We have an at Work Program here. I did really well, but I am seeing the pounds come back. My excuse too has been the money lately, but I am not seeing the steady weight loss that I did when I was an active member, so back I go.
It is hard at first, you will be a little hungry. But it passes and you get used to eating less. Any diet that tells you hat you can eat as much as you did before and lose weight is lying to you. You can do it !