12 July 2005

Our mini-knitalong

As I mentioned a few days' ago, C1 and I are both knitting the SpunMag mosaic bag. We haven't knit very much, but I promised pictures so here we go.




This is the beginning of C1's bag. On her bag, you can see more clearly the difference between doing the slip-stitch incorrectly (bottom inch) and doing it correctly. If you don't pull the yarn forward when you *slip as if to purl*, then you end up with a fabric that looks like scrunched-up garter stitch with muddy color. When you do it the right way, you get nice lines every third stitch.



My piece is a bit bigger and it makes another point. If you use one variegated yarn and one solid yarn (as we both did), you may still get the pooling effect that many people dislike. I don't mind the pooling, but I may try this pattern again with all variegated yarn.

That's it for today. I am reading the fifth Harry Potter book again in preparation for the new book that is coming out this week, so I don't know if I will get much knitting done. Reading has a way of blocking out everything else in my life!

No comments: