20 August 2005

Health Update



I lost four pounds at my weigh-in on Thursday. Since I was only expecting to lose one or two, this is pretty cool. I don't usually have a big weight loss the first week I try a new plan. Even if it is only water weight, it is still encouraging to lose that much right at the start.

Part of the reason that I did so well this week was that I have a freezer full of Weight Watchers' meals. One of the grocery stores in our town is going out of business, so ABM loaded up on a lot of stuff. I've been eating them every night for dinner, but next week I am going to try to cook regular dinners. This is where I fell down on eDiets. Living on Lean Cuisines and other frozen entrees can be expensive, but without them I fell back into my bad eating habits. This time, ABM is keeping plenty of chicken breasts in the freezer. Even a so-so cook like me can come up with several quick, healthy meals that include chicken breasts.

My exercise this week has been walking on my breaks at work. That is 20 minutes a day, five days a week. Next week, I am going to try adding sit-ups when I get home. Ab exercises are my least favorite thing because I can't seem to do them without making my neck hurt. I know that I am supposed to focus the exertion in my abdomen, but I can't help pulling myself up with my neck muscles because my ab muscles are so weak. I have a balance ball and it helps a bit, but I suspect that I am too heavy for it. When I get on it, I squish it into an egg shape. It doesn't look like that when the instructors on TV use one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you're having some success, Dani! I hope you will be able to stick with this one, I ffound it made me feel wonderful when I finally was able to stick to a plan for improving my health and losing weight. Now when I fall off my "wagon", it is much easier to just get back on instead of berating myself and getting depressed. Good Luck!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That is what I started doing when I lost my last amount of weight (5+ years ago!) -- walking during all my breaks at work, plus taking a part time job so I didn't have time to eat at home at night. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Awesome ! I am glad that you decided to try WW. I have lost 3.8 pounds in 2 weeks. I think that your plan is a good one, I try to stock up on chicken breasts, and the Lean Cusines are good if you can get them on sale. The Lean Cuisine Website has a lot of good info and the Points Value of their meals are on the box, too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.