18 January 2006

What I'm Up To

TV: Beauty and the Geek started back last week so I added that to my reality show lineup. I've also been hearing good things about Surface so I will be browsing the internet for past episodes to put on my Palm.

Movies: I got ABM to watch Camp the other day and he actually liked it. For my husband to sit through a movie about theatre geeks that had full musical numbers must be a sign that our relationship has matured. This is further proof that people who are married for a long time start to become the same person.

Music: The hunger for music has finally kicked in for my kids. Local radio is a minefield of inappropriate songs so I have been introducing them to the few CDs that I have. M's current playlist for the long commute to school:

"Mesopotamia" by the B52s
"Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" by the Andrews Sisters
"Boogie Woogie Hip Hop Boy" by En Vogue
Several songs from the musical "Hairspray"
Several songs by the Lascivious Biddies
"Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day

This list would have gotten me branded as a white girl wannabe, so I've got to add some R&B and hip-hop to this list.

Books: I just finished reading The Astonishing X-Men: Gifted written by Joss Whedon. This is the paperback compilation of issues #1-#6 and I am dying to get the second volume. I haven't read a comic in over 15 years, but I think graphic novels may just be the way to go for me. Next time, though, I think I will pick a series that has already concluded. After I read the second volume, I will have to wait for the comics to be published each month and I don't know if I can stand it.

One thing I wanted to mention is the art in this book. I never expected to be so moved by the art in a comic book. Check this out:



This is the cover to issue #6. My scanner does not properly convey the beauty of this drawing. I went to the Marvel site and downloaded the wallpaper for my computer at work AND my laptop. This may sound like an exaggeration, but this is only the second time in my memory that I have felt compelled to look at a picture for an extended period of time. I would buy a print and frame it if I actually thought ABM would let me hang it.

While I am trying to convince myself to spend the $12 for volume two, I am reading a manga comic called Pretear. Again, it is the first volume of a series and the library doesn't have any of the others. It is OK, but it is a little young for me. The art is all black-and-white and the plot is a basic wide-eyed fairy tale. I think I would be enjoying it more if I wasn't jonesing for more X-Men. It is perfect for C2, though. It is difficult to get her to finish books on her reading level but she sped through this in no time and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the schools here put such importance on earning AR points that there isn't time for kids to read anything just for pleasure. I may get her some of these for summer reading.

Games: We got the girls a Gamecube for their birthday. Really, it is for all the kids but the stores were still cleaned out from Christmas and we wanted them to have some sort of gift from us. The two games that ABM got to go with it are Pikmin and Crazy Taxi. The funny thing is that I am the one who knows the most about video games, but ABM is always the one who ends up out in the stores without me trying to pick something out. I get so frustrated with him because he will call me from the store and only read three titles to me. If I say "no" to those titles, then he doesn't get anything. I know that he must be looking at more than three games in front of him; why does he try to use his limited game knowledge to screen the games?

No comments: