31 August 2006

Poetry Thursday: House Hunting

Remember two weeks' ago when I said that I would write a new poem for my next Poetry Thursday contribution? Yeah. Sorry about that. School started for my kids this week, so I have been trying to spend less time on the computer and more time attending to their needs. I still haven't figured out how to fit writing into the schedule. So today's poem is another retread.

Before you read today's poem, keep this in mind. Most of my poetry is autobiographical because I don't know how to write anything else. However, I was a very different person when I wrote this poem. I am not this depressed anymore, so you don't have to send me any concerned emails offering the crisis hotline number :-). Until I write something new, all I have left in my notebook is poetry that is either morose or poorly written. I'd rather share sad poetry than bad poetry.

-------------------------------------------------------

HOUSE HUNTING

Last night
Insanity bent close to my ear
And whispered,
"In my house
You will be safe."
And indeed
The offer was tempting to me,
A soul in search of respite;
But then I noticed
The liquid grief
That rolled down your cheeks
As you witnessed the life
Vacating my eyes,
And I decided
To extend the lease
On my current abode.

--Dani M. Sanders, 12 September 1989

2 comments:

January said...

I like your use of "insanity" and how it carries the poem all the way to the end. Nice job.

It's tough writing a poem every week. I feel a lot of pressure to post just the right thing. So I understand your concern about what poem to share, and how will others perceive it

mareymercy said...

Very cool. I like the personification of the house/insanity.

For Poetry Thursday, I don't generally write something new. I find something old that fits the bill; or something that I can change around a bit to make it fit.