04 August 2009

Garnier Fructis and Racial Discrimination

Thanks to a link provided by DPrincess28 on her beauty blog, Protecting Your Crown and Glory, I just found out that L'Oreal was found guilty of racial discrimination in a French court. They put out the word to their recruitment arm that only white French people born of white French parents were to be hired to sell their Garnier Fructis products.

Normally, I don't pay much attention to the politics that supposedly govern certain companies. For me, only two things matter: the price of the product and the effectiveness. However, I am torn on this issue. Garnier Fructis products work very well on my daughters' hair, but I don't want to give money to a company that obviously doesn't want black women selling or using their products. I don't want to waste money trying out product after product to find something else that works as well as Garnier Fructis, either. I almost wish I hadn't read the article :-(.

4 comments:

Miss Eliza Sea said...

You could always try Oyin! :D OMG I had forgotten how much I love this stuff.

Dani In NC said...

Oyin looks interesting, but it costs much more than what I normally spend on health and beauty products. $5 per bottle is pretty much my upper limit. The biggest exception is Olay Definity Intense Hydrating Cream. That stuff is $30 for a tiny 2 oz jar, but I got lucky and found a sale so I got it for $15. I use it S-P-A-R-I-N-G-L-Y and only on the days when I am wearing makeup, so it may last me the rest of the year. Once it's gone, I won't be buying any more unless I find another sale.

Man said...

If you can't find an alternative then go to their site and use a "contact us" form to voice your concern.

If you choose to boycott let them know, this way they actual feel it. They do take well written criticism into consideration.

Use that inner-hippie to get your point across and hope for change. Then of course hide that hippie once again.

Dani In NC said...

I am SO not an activist. It was a little out there for me to even mention it on my blog. I will also mention it to my real-life friends, including the hairdresser who recommended the product to me. That's as much activism as I can handle.