24 November 2006

I was better off not knowing

Out of the new fall TV shows, my favorite is Ugly Betty. It is the classic story of a down-to-earth girl surrounded by chi-chi people who have forgotten their roots. The setting is the office of a fashion magazine, so there are lots of jokes about how Betty doesn't know how to dress. Betty also comments a lot about how in her world she doesn't have the money to throw away on expensive clothes and other luxuries.

Anyway, I was on the ABC website looking at Grey's Anatomy t-shirts and decided to click over and see if there were any Ugly Betty shirts. I ended up in the SeenOn section of the store which tells you where to buy items of clothing that the characters wore in certain episodes. I know that TV is not reality, but I was still disappointed to find that the clothes Betty wears come from Nordstrom's and Neiman-Marcus. In real life, that character would be shopping at Wal-Mart and Lane Bryant would be a splurge. Neiman-Marcus? That is so wrong. A pair of pants that Betty wore on the Thanksgiving episode cost $168! I can honestly say that I have never spent that much on an entire outfit. It is almost as if the show runners thought Betty would be too ugly if she wore clothes from Target. I guess that's showbiz!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love Ugly Betty and I found your blog post about it. YOu can't honestly think that Hollywood would put stars in clothes from Wal-Mart or something along those lines. TV is visual and people want to see nice things -- you have to look at Ugly Betty, she has to be wearing something appealing to keep you watching. It can't all be storyline. Hey thanks for telling me about the SeenOn store, it might be too pricey for my pocketbook but it sure is fun to see that I can buy something that Betty had on!