07 December 2006

Poetry Thursday: Poetry Meme

Long time, no see! Yes, I am attempting to return to my practice of Poetry Thursdays. It has been on my mind for a few weeks, but then one of my real-life friends (who I had forgotten was a reader of my blog) commented yesterday that she enjoyed the poetry. So I'm back again.

This week's entry is not going to feature a poem, however. The Poetry Thursday suggestion for this week was to fill out a meme about poetry. I like to read memes but they are difficult for me to fill out. My answers are never as entertaining as what others write. I also have trouble remembering things like "the first time I did XYZ". So this will be more of a writing exercise for me than a stimulating read for you, I'm afraid. Hopefully, it will wake up my inner poet a little.

1. The first poem I remember reading/hearing/reacting to was …

"Paul Revere's Ride" by Longfellow. I was in the 4th grade during the US Bicentennial and we focused a lot more on the Revolutionary War than my kids are doing now. Listen my children and you shall hear/Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere . . .

2. I was forced to memorize (name of poem) in school and …

I don't think I was forced to memorize it, but the first poem I remember learning by heart was "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes. Life for me ain't been no crystal stair . . .

3. I read/don’t read poetry because …

I read poetry because I like the sound of words that have been combined beautifully. To hear a perfectly-crafted phrase read aloud is a pleasure.

4. A poem I’m likely to think about when asked about a favorite poem is …

"To My Dear and Loving Husband" by Anne Bradstreet. Yes, it is old, but there are times that modern English isn't up to the task of expressing my feelings. If ever two were one, then surely we . . .

5. I write/don’t write poetry, but …

I don't usually tell people that I write because I don't want to be a cliche. It seems as though every housewife writes corny rhymes in her spare time -- "L is for the love you showed . . .". Perhaps I am conceited, but I believe my work is better than that.

6. My experience with reading poetry differs from my experience with reading other types of literature …

The act of reading poetry makes me feel sophisticated. Reading novels doesn't elevate me the same way.

7. I find poetry …

If it is good, I find it moving. If it is bad, I am embarrassed for the author.

8. The last time I heard poetry …

It was several months ago when I watched a rerun of Def Poetry Jam, I think.

9. I think poetry is like …

A spilling-forth of emotion.

5 comments:

Rethabile said...

Good of you to share. Thanks

Anonymous said...

1. You are not conceited.

2. Welcome back to Poetry Thursday! Happy to see you in these parts again.

Kay Cooke said...

I enjoyed reading your considered responses - you are well-read. Can't wait to read some of that poetry of yours!

January said...

Love your answers! And welcome back to Poetry Thursday.

Langston Hughes is one of my favorites, too.

Anonymous said...

Dani - Thanks for stopping by and posting. I enjoyed reading your post. Your answer to #7 was my fav.

Dennis ~