14 December 2006

Poetry Thursday: Driving My Kids Down Abbey Road

This week's prompt was to be inspired by a street.  My poem is connected to the prompt by the tiniest of unpaved side roads, but I'm sharing it, anyway.  This is my attempt to put this week's prevailing thought into words--and no, the poem is NOT about Christmas.  Feel free to give me some constructive criticism; this was written on my lunch break so I know it probably needs some work!


Driving My Kids Down Abbey Road

It's a road so well-traveled,
Many assume that
Everyone is familiar
With its landmarks.
It is the place where
My wedding song was born.
Will my little ones appreciate
The talent that once
Resided there?
Perhaps not,
But I would be remiss
If I left them with
A copy
Of a copy
Of a copy
Ringing in their ears.

--Dani M. Sanders, 14 Dec 2006

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and giving me feedback on my poem. I love your poem... especially the beginning lines of yours:

"It's a road so well-traveled,
Many assume that
Everyone is familiar
With its landmarks."

Kay Cooke said...

Is this about playing Beatles songs to your kids or am I way off beam? Anyway, I like the cryptic nature of this poem.

Dani In NC said...

Yes, my poem is about exposing my kids to the Beatles. I am too young to have listened to them in the 1960s, of course, but when I was a kid there were plenty of radio stations with shows and countdowns that educated me about rock-and-roll history. Today, my kids are hearing classic tunes covered on the soundtracks of kiddie movies without ever hearing the originals. I just couldn't let that happen.