04 January 2007

Poetry Thursday: Randomness

I had the best of intentions this week. I've been thinking about what I was going to post today since last Poetry Thursday. Alas, I let life take over once again and I didn't get much writing done. At least, I didn't create the type of verse suitable for the discerning PT readers. I did write a senryu to explain my state of mind this week:

Nervous twitch caused by
kids' long division homework,
lack of Kahlua.

I also helped my daughter C1 compose some tongue-twisters for her vocabulary homework:

Processing produce prevents pesky parasites.

and

Whiny wimpy woman wiggles for warmth.

Also, M got a passing grade today for the poem she wrote about the Revolutionary War. Here is an excerpt (I resisted the urge to edit):

I was just about to make a run for my house,
When I saw it,
A man with a loaded rifle came up and said,
"You filthy, ludicrous, insolent, heathens!"
And he shot.
The body of a woman holding a child fell to the ground.
The child cried,
And no one comforted him.
I stayed awestruck at what I had just witnessed,
No one even went to help the baby,
Or find out if the woman was truly dead.

As you can see, I haven't figured out how to balance being a mommy and a poet like January. Wish me better luck next week!

2 comments:

Jon said...

I can relate to the not finding time to write, and I don't even have kids! On the bright side, it does seem like your kids help keep you steeped in all kinds of neat language experiences all the time.

Have you read jillypoet's poem this week? Maybe, like her, you're storing away your poetry for later. :-)

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this post. The first poem caught the combination of mundane and sublime that being a parent subjects us to. Nice post.