16 February 2007

"Grease: You're the One That I Want"

Yes, I am watching another reality show. Shoot me! I am a sucker for show tunes and reality shows where people actually have to exhibit a skill, and this one has both. For those of you not familiar with the show, a British financier wants to mount a new production of the musical "Grease" and he is searching for the lead roles of Danny and Sandy through an American Idol-style televised talent search.

Lest you think Grease: You're the One That I Want is a fromage-fest like that dreadful Dirty Dancing show, this show seems to have some Broadway cred behind it. The episode I watched today had Andrew Lloyd Webber on the panel. I skipped the beginning of the series, because on these shows the first few episodes are usually fraught with manufactured and heavily-edited drama.

Right now they are down to six guys and six gals. What prompted me to write about it was that the first elimination was so touching. They had the eliminated guy and gal sing a snippet from Grease, with the remaining contestants laying hands on them. I know they are all actors, but it was the best good-bye I've seen on one of these shows. I can't wait to watch next week!

No comments: