05 August 2007

Sunday Scribblings: Decision

This week's one-word prompt is "decision". Methinks the word "indecision" would be more appropriate for me. I have the worst time making decisions, especially when it comes to spending money. Second-guessing would be a relief; I third-, fourth-, and fifth-guess myself. I'm so worried about making the wrong decision that I tend not to do anything at all.

Conventional wisdom suggests that there is never a perfect time to have a baby. For me, there is never a perfect time to spend money. If you could take a picture of me trying to decide when to buy something, it would look like a girl waiting for the right time to jump in on a turning double-dutch rope. I keep telling myself that I will do it after the next paycheck, then the next paycheck, then the next paycheck . . .

Once I talk myself into spending the money on an item, then I take days to research which model or brand of said item I want to get. Oftentimes I am still making the decision as I am walking up to the cash register. I do the same thing when I am ordering in a restaurant. Many times I don't know what I am going to order until the waitress gets to me and I blurt out something.

This paralyzing indecision isn't limited to spending money. When I set up my gaming and reading blogs, I spent so much time trying to pick templates and reading up on the best ad layout that I wasn't writing any content. I was so afraid of getting everything set up on Blogger and then realizing that I should have used Wordpress or TypePad.

Whether it comes to money or time, I want to get things right the first time. I look back at all the poor decisions I made in the past (some of which I am still living with the consequences of) and instead of learning from them, I have become afraid of making even more. No one can live an error-free life, but at least I can't be accused of deciding blindly.

3 comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

We can over think ourselves out of anything and will make bad decisions and good ones. Thankfully we can sometimes correct the bad and bask in the good as long as we don't stop moving. :)

sage said...

I'm like you. But then there's a good reason to wait--you might not need it--and if you have it, then you have to do something with it or have a yard sale... Sage who started out in NC

Cherie said...

Not indecision ... I hear a wise, cautious decision maker - think of the money you've saved! Fabulous!