30 December 2007

Hail and Farewell

As I type this post, I am watching CBS Sunday Morning and their "Hail and Farewell" segment for 2007. I like the "best of" year-end lists, but it really feels like the year is coming to a close when I see the memorial tributes. It may seem morbid, but I like to watch them. I like to give a few moments to entertainers and other popular people who have brought me joy. I especially like to watch tributes like TCM Remembers, an interstitial that TCM runs several times during December of every year. Most networks mention the deaths of big names like Merv Griffin and Pavorotti, but I didn't know that Yvonne de Carlo and Betty Hutton had died until I saw it on TCM.

This farewell segment on CBS is even naming people outside the entertainment industry who have passed on like the inventor of Gatorade. I always wonder if people like that were appreciated for their contributions while they were alive. Taking a moment to think about them at the end of the year doesn't seem too much to ask.

No comments: