12 January 2008

Bits and bobs

So much for blogging more often in the New Year :-p. I've been writing, but it hasn't made it to this page. Some of it is here and here, but most of it has been on Twitter. Although I can post to this blog from my phone, there are times when I just want to say something in 140 words or less and get it in front of people immediately. In my mind, my blog posts need to be more carefully crafted so I hesitate to blog on the run.

So what has been running through my mind lately? Here goes:

--Work SUCKS! People say don't sweat the small stuff, but sometimes the small stuff adds up until you have a big ol' Katamari ball of junk. You guys have heard me complain about jobs in the past, but I really tried to like this one. It is just too unorganized to me. I used to laugh at the well-drafted procedures at my last job and call them overdone, but I miss them now. On my current job, you don't find out the correct way to do something until you've already screwed up. Add in their "no excuses" policy, and I end up getting harangued by outside agencies for things I didn't know or that happened before I even started working there. I don't know how much longer I can last there.

--My birthday was on Thursday and it was particularly uneventful, even for us. We don't usually make a big deal about grown-up birthdays, but I was looking forward to my usual Chinese takeout. This year I got a Lean Cuisine :-(. Still, there was a bright spot. The kids took it upon themselves to surprise me. They made a birthday cake all by themselves while we were at work. I was so proud, especially since they came up with this without ABM's help.

--My laptop died about three weeks' ago, and I think it is gone for good this time. Unlike the last time, ABM doesn't seem to be in a rush to get it fixed. We still have four other computers in the house, but none of them are as comfortable to use as a laptop in bed. So I've been spending a lot less time on the computer. Unfortunately, I don't quite know what to do with myself now. The laptop has been part of my entertainment routine for so long that I am lost without it. This would probably be a good time to get back into reading or knitting, but neither one of those hobbies appeal to me right now. Can you say "internet junkie"?

No comments: