19 December 2007

Why dress up?

It occurred to me today that I would be much more productive if I could wear sweats and sneakers to work. If you get inside my head on a workday morning, you would be amazed at how angry I get over pantyhose. I hate struggling with my clothes and hair at a time of day when I don't even want to be awake.

It all seems so unnecessary. I didn't mind wearing skirts and heels when I was a receptionist. However, my last three jobs haven't had any face-to-face customer contact. Nobody ever sees me so I don't have to be the face of the organization. On this job my office is so grubby that I'm worried about ruining any nice clothes I wear in there.

Why can't I have the same dress code that my high-school aged daughter has? It's simple -- no profanity on the t-shirts and no skirts shorter than fingertip length. I know I'd work harder if I wasn't constantly adjusting my tights.

3 comments:

scifirantergirl said...

Amen! But I actually like dressing up. My complaint was more about not having new clothes. Though dressing these past couple of weeks has been a major drag. I never wear hose cause I always wear pants. I HATE HATE HATE doing my hair. It takes about 15-20 minutes. HATE IT!!!!

Dani In NC said...

I like dressing up if I am going to a party or something, but not if I have work to do. I like to be very comfortable with nothing binding me or restricting my movement. Besides, I don't know why my bosses care what I wear when I sit in a dingy corner all day.

Anonymous said...

My husband has been doing consulting from home. I wondered if on a phone or conference call whether the other parties could tell the difference if he was wearing a bathrobe vs. a collared shirt and dress pants. It would be an interesting experiment.