04 April 2008

Apple is the country's #1 music retailer?

This morning I read an article about Apple's iTunes being the top music retailer in the US. That is amazing to me. Every time I see a story like this, I do an informal poll of my friends and my kids' friends. Here is why today's article boggles my mind:

--Cell phones are still more popular than mp3 players of any variety around here, with kids and adults.

--Most people don't have cell phones that can play mp3s. The people who do, don't know how to put the music on them.

--More kids than adults have mp3 players, but they aren't iPods.

--The adults I know are still buying CDs. The kids are doing what I did as a kid: trading mixtapes (or mix thumb drives, in this case) created from a combination of ripping CDs, finding free music online, and the occasional digital music purchase.

I would be interested to hear from any of my readers who don't belong to the iTunes Nation. Are you still buying CDs? Are you like me and only loading free stuff like podcasts onto your mp3 player? Let me hear from you in the comments!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, technically as a Mac user & iPod user I do belong to the iTunes nation... But here's my $.02 anyway. :)

If it's a band I love I will buy the CD. If I just like a song or two I will buy a digital download. Given the choice between iTunes or a DRM free version from somewhere else I always choose the DRM free version. I never download music illegally unless it is something that I have already looked for and tried to get legally and it's just not available. Or if a friend puts stuff up for download saying "Check this out, it's really good." I'll download those because when I do like it I then go out and buy the album, and if I don't like it I just delete it.