21 June 2008

Little Shop of Horrors in my backyard?


Photo_062108_003.jpg, originally uploaded by daniinnc_2000.

This is my melon patch. I had originally planted six hills with seeds from a cantaloupe/honeydew variety pack, but none of them germinated. So when LJ brought over two watermelon seedlings, I had room for them. After a week in the patch, the watermelon went crazy! Every day the vines stretch out further. You can't tell from this photo, but there are vines that extend 12 inches past the bed in the corners.

The behavior that makes me think of Audrey II is that the little curly offshoots from the vines are grabbing the grass and weeds outside the bed. Any day now, the watermelon is going to sit up and say "Feed me!" when I come out to water it :-).

I intended to post a photo of all the flowers on the plant. However, by the time I got out there with the camera this afternoon, all the blossoms were closed. Not only were they closed on this plant, but also on the squash and zucchini. I guess I only saw them today because I was out earlier than usual for the watering. Some research is in order to find out whether I am supposed to be pulling these blossoms off to encourage the fruit.

No comments: