23 July 2008

I Told You I Was Trouble: Amy Winehouse Live From London

I've spoken several times about my obsession with Amy Winehouse. During the height of it, I put her concert DVD in my NetFlix queue. Apparently, it was a hot-ticket item because I couldn't get it until now. It finally showed up in my mailbox just as I've completed Winehouse rehab. Am I going to get addicted again?

I Told You I Was Trouble: Amy Winehouse Live From London has two different programs on the disc. It starts off with a concert in London. Sadly, this gig was filmed after she married Blake Fielder-Civil and got really skinny. She wasn't in her best voice, but it was as close as I'm going to get to seeing Winehouse in concert. The program after that is a 50-minute documentary about the start of her career. I liked this bit better because there were several clips of Winehouse talking and singing in her earlier days. Back then, she had a healthier body and didn't slur so much. Given the current circumstances, true fans will appreciate any evidence of this caught on tape. It was a little sad to see the interview with her dad from a couple years' ago when he didn't think she was abusing drugs, though.

Would I recommend this DVD? I'd say rent it if you have only heard the song "Rehab" and are wondering what all the fuss is about. If you are a die-hard Winehouse fan, you may want to buy it as a reminder of the days when Amy didn't look like a crack whore.


No comments: