06 July 2008

She's my age!

When I heard this morning that Dara Torres had beat women half her age in the US Olympic swimming trials, I got a little teary. She is 41 and a mom, just like me! Torres even started training for her comeback when she was pregnant with her two-year-old daughter. I started taking dance classes when I was pregnant, so I could identify a little.

I remember when I was a kid, I would always get a kick out of hearing about someone in the public eye who was my age. I guess you never get too old to get excited about what your peers are doing. I know that it took Torres a lifetime of training to get where she is. Still, it is encouraging to see someone your age doing something extraordinary. It is a reminder that you, whether you are 14 or 41, can achieve your own goals.

No comments: