02 July 2008

Well, THAT did wonders for my self-esteem

Today was my last day to take care of my seven-month-old charge. She's been having a fretful morning and I couldn't get her down for a nap. It's either teething or a tummy-ache.

Anyway, her grandmother came to pick her up early. Grandma drove six hours to get here to see her little precious, so of course they were both excited. I tried to tell Grandma that the baby had been a little cranky this morning and what I and the mother think the problem might be. She cut me off with a quick thank-you and that haughty grandmother look. I'm sure most of you mothers out there know the one. In five seconds flat it says, "I know better than anyone how to take care of my grandchild."

Sometimes my youthful looks and lack of grey hair and wrinkles can be a curse. Not that I'm bragging, but I still get people who think I'm in my late 20s. Grandma probably thought that I was some young clueless chick with little childcare experience. Either that, or she was unhappy that her precious had to be left with a virtual stranger and couldn't rest until she rescued the babe from my clutches.

Whatever the reason, I find myself sitting here feeling like I've taken a blow to the gut. I've raised four kids and managed not to wreck them, but she looked at me like I don't know anything about children. Lately, I've been feeling pretty useless and this didn't help.

No comments: