14 September 2008

Button Hat Finished


Button Hat, originally uploaded by daniinnc_2000.

Yarn: Bernat Softee Chunky
Pattern: Robin's Egg Blue Hat by Rachel Iufer

Although I still have to add a button to this hat, I'm calling it done. It turned out a bit too big because I forgot to go down a needle size. Even if I hit the gauge with the suggested needle, I seem to loosen up as I go along. To guard against that, I usually go down a needle size or two right off the bat. That's what I will do next time.

This was my first time using the Bernat Softee Chunky. I liked it a lot. It is soft, pleasant to work with, and inexpensive. A ball is $1.50, and it only took half the ball to make this hat.

From what I've read, this hat is similar to one that Banana Republic was selling last year. Follow the link and you will see that the BR version looks cheap and tacky, despite the fact that it was made of cashmere and selling for $50. I'd put my 75 cents' worth of yarn up against that hat any day.

No comments: