31 October 2008

Foodie Friday: The State of my Cooking Life

--Once I committed to writing about food at least once a week, I took stock of my kitchen and whether I was actually prepared to do that. I'm saddled with an oven that only broils, a refrigerator that barely gets cold enough to keep my food from spoiling, and a budget that only allows me to buy the most basic of ingredients. Turning myself into a foodie is going to be a challenge.

Added to my meager equipment is my lack of skills. So I decided last week that I need to find a cookbook that is laid out like a cooking course. One book that I've added to my TBR list is The Amateur Gourmet: How to Shop, Chop, and Table Hop Like a Pro (Almost). I used to be a regular reader of the author's blog three years's ago, and his book is described as a "Kitchen 101" which I feel I need. I've been feeding myself for years but I rarely cook from scratch and there are still cooking techniques that I haven't attempted. Hopefully this book will help me fill in the gaps.

--In other kitchen-related news: I think my twins are addicted to the smell of basil. Our thriving basil plants went all brown after the frost earlier this week. I asked them if I should plant more in my kitchen pots, and they shouted yes!

Despite the cold, my other plants are still showing signs of life. Outside, my broccoli and cauliflower seem to be thriving but I haven't seen any heads yet. The one collard green plant that survived is doing well, although I don't think I will get more than one serving out of it once the leaves are cooked down. I also have onions that are coming up. My stevia, which is supposed to be difficult to grow, is doing well. Even my scraggly mint is perking up. Hopefully, I will be able to convince ABM to let me enlarge my plot so I can grow even more veggies while my thumb is still green.

--What foodie book do I have on my bedside table? It is called Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl. I read her previous memoir a few weeks' ago for a reading challenge and truly enjoyed it. If you have any cookbooks or food-related books that you love, pass the titles along. I'm always looking for suggestions.

No comments: