14 February 2009

Favorite Rom-Com?

I'm feeling a little more romantic than usual this Valentine's Day. Maybe it is due to all the romances I've been reading lately. I even bought ABM a card and a small gift, which I haven't done in ages. That sounds heartless, but ABM doesn't consider this a real holiday so he doesn't expect to get anything. He only buys me something because one of his coworkers shamed him into it years' ago.

Anyway, all this romance in the air got me thinking about romantic comedies and if I have any favorites. It is difficult for me to pick a favorite in anything -- music, books, food, whatever. However, in this instance a clear favorite jumps out at me: The Truth About Cats and Dogs.

Why does this film stand above the rest in my mind? I love the fact that the unconventional beauty gets the guy. There are other movies where the shy girl or the nerdy girl wins out in the end, but they always include the "Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto!" moment. Why does the underdog have to be made over into the prom queen for the guy to notice her? In The Truth About Cats and Dogs there is no makeover involved. The guy just comes to his senses.

Another movie that is SO anti-feminist but I still love it is The Quiet Man. It was released in 1952 so I am willing to forgive the outdated viewpoint on love and relationships. This film showcases Maureen O'Hara at her fiery best. The old-fashioned girl in me loves the fact that O'Hara's character demands that her husband stand up and protect her honor.

So, do any of you have a favorite rom-com? I would love to hear about it. Maybe you'll introduce me to something new.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I can't stand most romantic comedies, but I enjoyed Love Actually so much that I bought the DVD.