07 March 2010

Looks like I'll be growing tomatoes again this year



I saw a reference to this tomato story on the CBS Early Show yesterday and looked up more information online. As I've mentioned on the blog before, I started my first garden mainly because I was craving tomatoes but the prices were too high. I've grown my own tomatoes for the past two years, but I was considering a change this year because I don't have much space. Now that I'm working, I figured I would buy tomatoes instead. They've been 99 cents/lb around here lately, which isn't too bad. However, it looks like that price won't last for long.

According to the CBS story and others, the freezes in Florida have already affected prices in the grocery stores. Tomatoes used in processed foods are mainly grown in California, so thankfully we won't have to worry about the price of ketchup going up. My kids go through gallons of the stuff! However, I've been looking forward to fresh summer tomatoes for months. I guess I'll have to make room for in my little garden patch to grow my own again this year. The one tomato plant that I grew in a 5-gallon bucket last year was rather productive. Perhaps I should do all my tomatoes in buckets this year and save the patch for other veggies.

1 comment:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Have you tried the Farmer's Market? I haven't been yet, but I figured I'd give it a try this year. I've heard good things about it, and it's not far from us. As for us, I think we're just going to stick to tomatoes this year. That's all we seem to eat in the summer! :)