20 December 2010

Catch-up on Reverb 10: Day 14

Day 14 prompt:

Appreciate.
What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?
(Author: Victoria Klein)

This may end up being a little sappy, but I don't know how to avoid it. I've given you fair warning! The thing I've appreciated most this past year is my husband's patience.

Anyone who reads this blog frequently has probably figured out that my husband ABM isn't a patient man. He can't stand to be kept waiting for anything. The end of my pregnancies aggravated him because I couldn't get out of the car and walk fast enough to keep up with him. It is OK if I have to wait for him, like when he is picking me up from work. However, if he is there on time and I walk out at five minutes past quitting time, he gets grumpy.

At least, he used to get grumpy. Ever since my MS diagnosis, ABM has cut me more slack. He doesn't fuss if I spend an hour in the tub soaking because my back hurts. He doesn't roll his eyes if I say I'm going to stay in bed all day on Saturday to rest. He doesn't complain if the only room I can manage to clean on my day off is the bathroom.

I don't expect this new-found patience to last forever. If I don't develop any major symptoms (and let's pray that I don't, shall we?), then ABM will put MS to the back of his mind and start grumbling if I am the last one out the door again. For right now, though, I appreciate being able to get used to this new development in my life without also having to deal with my husband's disapproval.

1 comment:

Stereo said...

I hope he realises that he has a gem!